Friday, December 6, 2013

You are Here


Here we go again, it’s mass delusion. I find myself running in incessant circles. The sole of my shoes slip on this featureless surface.  A clear, sweet liquid floods the bottle, the grating horrors of truth tormenting my ignorance. The glass shatters, falling from its pedestal. Forward, anywhere but this place, away from this queer twilight zone. Footfalls are treacherous; I don’t belong here. Yet eventually I find purchase. Forward movement and gathering speed. The future is my savior; consciousness is my companion.  Somewhere along the way I falter, and find myself falling to the ground, cradled in earths embrace. Resting my head on a clump of moss, I attempt to quell my rapid breaths. A hand extends towards me from the canopy above. My feet are beneath me, though I can’t see them.  Numbness begins to overcome them, a thick creeping weight, heavier than anything that’s burdened them before. A midnight sky enveloped me, a black sheet devoid of any worldly comfort. My right hand began to burn” You are here”.  A hinge squeaked shut, or open, I couldn’t tell, they both sound so alike.  The smell of stagnant water stung my nose. The darkness began to choke me. It’s long fingers curled around my ankles, locking me into place, preventing any forward motion. My hand burned for a second time “You are here”.  I gazed at the fiery characters burnt a crossed my palm. The script was plain yet powerful. The deep recesses of the water began churning. While the darkness hid the water’s actions from me I could still hear its sinister plotting.  Refusing to be extinguished, I kicked off the now twig like claws, rushed towards the sound and dove through. Voices buzzed in my ears; yet I marched on. I kept my head down, and forged my way, keeping my eyes locked on that hopeful message, “You are Here.”

No comments:

Post a Comment